Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Austraya

Happy Australia Day dear Smellies.

Today has to the be the most scandalous, stereotyped and criticised day of the year (after Boxing Day of course, that holiday always gets the masses riled up).

But I don't see the fuss. To me, Australia Day is a day where you can do whatever.you.want all the while celebrating the fact that we all live/once lived in the best country in the world. It shouldn't matter whether you were born here, whether you live here at the moment or whether you drink beer, Straya Day is probably the best day of the year to relax with friends, in a blow up pool while listening to Triple J without the need to buy anyone a Christmas present.



I have to admit, I am a little annoyed by the criticisms poor Straya Day faces. It is know for its flag-toting, Southern Cross Tat wearing, Mullet wielding bogans that think they own the coutnry while every other nationality has to stay inside. It's so ridonkulous! I saw a tweet from a young Muslim woman last week that went something along the lines of she doesn't go outside on Australia Day for obvious reasons. What a sad day it is when innocent people are too scared to leave the house for fear of a race attack. Australia Day has a different meaning to everyone, but if it only involved racism to those you believe to not be 'Australian', go get a Lamington up ya. (Allowed ONE bogan 'up ya' saying on Aus Day, there goes mine)

Who do some Australians think that they can deny another Australian the chance to celebrate their country, just because they may have been born in another, or follow a religion other than Catholic.I'd be annoyed if I were an Australian citizen yet because I was once a citizen of Venus that I was not allowed to partake in Australia Day celebrations. I believe there is this saying, "The more the merrier" or something like that. I would also be an alien, and could just zap you all with my eye-rays.

Before this opinion piece turns into something overly political, I just want to wish each and every person who loves Australia, a very happy Australia Day. May your day be filled with laughter, friends and good times, because tomorrow we all go back to work!



Tell me, what are you doing today?

Smell ya later
x.

No comments:

Post a Comment